Audience: ERP Admin and Accounting Manager
Summary: Reviews what you should know and do to prepare to sync with NetSuite
NetSuite is a cloud-based ERP system. It has two editions that sync with MineralTree - NetSuite (standard) and NetSuite OneWorld. NetSuite allows for management of one organization while NetSuite OneWorld allows for the management of multiple subsidiaries within that organization. Once selected and synched, it cannot be changed. Even if you do not think you have subsidiaries, you might still have OneWorld. The best practice is to sign into NetSuite and search for “subsidiaries.” If nothing pops up, you do not have OneWorld. Since there is no longer a pricing distinction between the two from Oracle (NetSuite parent company), more organizations are opting for OneWorld.
Before the Sync
Determine How Subsidiaries Should Sync (OneWorld). Choose which subsidiaries you want to be under the same MineralTree company. You can have several or all subsidiaries and their children in the same MineralTree company (recommended for a centralized accounting team) or one subsidiary per MineralTree company (recommended for when you have an accounting manager per subsidiary). Please note any subsidiaries added to your NetSuite company post initial sync will not sync into your current MineralTree company (placeholder subsidiaries can be created pre-initial sync). See the NetSuite Integration Guide for more information.
Engaging the NetSuite Admin. If you have a large number of integrations with NetSuite and your NetSuite subscription does not allow for that, it could be exceeding your limit of “calls” between applications and NetSuite. Have a NetSuite Administrator navigate to Setup > Integration > Integration Governance. From there, you can see if there were any rejected requests along with the account concurrency limit and peak concurrency. If your limit is reached, you should contact NetSuite to increase the amount of “calls” allowed. If this is not done, it can cause payments to silently fail once the application is up and running.
Large Data Quantities. NetSuite Admins should inform MineralTree if they have more than 250,000 of the following:
Company Items, Customers, Purchase Orders, Departments, Classes, Locations, Projects/Jobs, GL Accounts, Open Bills or Vendors
In cases where there are large quantities of the above items, these will need to be uploaded into the system prior to the initial sync.
Prepare the NetSuite Environment
In order to successfully connect to your NetSuite account, you must
- Connect to NetSuite as an administrator
- Enable SuiteTalk (Web Services)
- Install a MineralTree bundle
Please follow these instructions to connect MineralTree to NetSuite.
Note: The following steps must be completed prior to entering your NetSuite credentials in the MineralTree setup window.
1. Navigate to Setup > Company > Enable Features
2. Navigate to the "SuiteCloud" tab
3. In the SuiteTalk (Web Services) section, select the box for "Soap Web Services." Accept the terms of service when prompted.
4. Log into your NetSuite account with an administrator role. Navigate to Customization > SiteBundler > Search & Install Bundle
5. Search for MineralTree
6. Select “MineralTree Integration Bundle” (Bundle ID 203444)
7. On the “Bundle Details” page, click “Install”
8. On the “Preview Bundle Install” page, click “Install Bundle”
9. You may verify the bundle is installing on the “Installed Bundles” page. The status should be Pending. Please note: the install must finish before you can begin the following steps. This usually takes several minutes to complete.
10. Once the bundle install is done, navigate to Lists > Mass Update > Mass Updates to allow syncing of vendors to MineralTree.
11. Select Custom Updates > Vendor > MT Vendor Subsidiary List Mass Update.
12. In the Criteria tab, search for the field “Login Access” and click “Add”, with the option 'No' selected.
13. In the Criteria tab, search for the field “Subsidiary Fields...” and select “Inactive”, with the option 'No' selected.
14. Preview the report.
15. Click Perform update to proceed further. Please note:
- This may take a while to complete.
- You may carry out step 16 while this step completes, but ensure this process completed BEFORE proceeding to MineralTree. Failure to do so may result in missing bills + vendors.
16. Ensure that token-based authentication is enabled by navigating to Setup>Company>Enable Features>SuiteCloud and checking "SUITESIGNON" and "TOKEN-BASED AUTHENTICATION" under "Manage Authentication."
How to find your NetSuite Account ID
Before syncing MineralTree with NetSuite for the first time, users will need to input their NetSuite Account ID. This ID can be found by navigating to Setup > Integration > Web Service Preferences
From that page, you can see your Account ID which is what you will enter on the MineralTree screen in order to start the initial sync.
Generate Token and Token Secret
MineralTree's connector utilizes NetSuite's preferred token-based authentication method to integrate with NetSuite. To set up the sync, users will need to log into NetSuite as an Administrator and generate a new access token following these steps:
1. Navigate to Home > Settings. Settings is on the bottom left of the dashboard when you scroll all the way down.
2. Click on Manage Access Tokens.
=> (IMPORTANT - Do not create under "Access Tokens," it must be under "My Access Token") <=
3. Click on New My Access Token.
4. Select the MineralTree application in the "Application Name" field, and click Save.
5. Note the newly generated Token ID and Token Secret. You will need to enter this information into your MineralTree application in order to initiate the first sync.
- the Access Token MUST have the role "Administrator"
- the person who enters these tokens into MineralTree must remain an Accounting Manager in the system
Note: If you had a Token ID and Token Secret previously, you will have to revoke them in NetSuite.
During the Sync
Please familiarize yourself with the NetSuite Integration Guide prior to the call. Syncs are always completed during off-peak hours. The initial and historical syncs have the largest quantity of data that has to be transferred between systems. Syncing after hours provides the best customer experience by not risking a slow-down of service due to this large data transfer. The sync user can log into MineralTree at any time to add their credentials and the token. However, the initial sync of data will not begin until after business hours.
Things to Consider
Expense Reports. We have the ability to sync your NetSuite expense reports. Expense reports are a special type of AP Invoice that comes from an “Employee” type vendor in NetSuite. If enabled, these invoices will sync in from NetSuite and can be paid in MineralTree. Syncing of expense reports is set up before you sync. If you disable after synching, the existing expense invoices will still appear in MineralTree and will have to be deleted manually. You may not want this if you do not want employees to be able to see other employees’ expense reports in MineralTree. Please let your Implementation Manager know you decision on syncing expense reports in MineralTree prior to your Sync Call.
Document sync. MineralTree allows documents to sync over from MineralTree to NetSuite but not vice versa. This can also be enabled after the sync, but it is not retroactive. If you have a storage limit in NetSuite, this is something should consider before enabling this feature. Please let your Implementation Manager know you decision on document sync to NetSuite prior to your Sync Call.
Expanded Dimensions. Accounting Managers can enable this feature by navigating to Settings > Company Profile and selecting the fields that should appear on invoices along with whether or not they should be mandatory. In order for these fields to appear in MineralTree, they must be created and displayed in NetSuite. This is not retroactive on bills that have already synced over to MineralTree.
Vendor Categories. NetSuite allows for vendors in their system to have a Vendor Category associated with them. MineralTree can recognize these categories and Administrator users of MineralTree can actually determine which categories they do not want to sync over in the future. For example: If you don’t want bills for vendors with the category “1099” to sync over, this can prevent them from doing so. This can be done by navigating to Settings > Company Settings and clicking on the Settings tab. From there, deselect the Vendor Categories you do not wish to sync over. Because this can only be determined after the sync, any bills for the vendor categories that were unselected after the sync must be manually deleted.